Monday, June 1, 2015

Automatic chicken coop door

Here is my new coop. It has a homemade solar powered automatic door.



I used a car door window motor to drive it. It has a couple of limit switches to recognize when the door is open or closed..



I used a double pole double throw relay to change the polarity of the current in order to open or close the door.

Here is the charge controller and battery. The one the came with the solar panel burned up.


The whole setup.

The photo electric switch and the PV panel.

Here is a terrible schematic:

2 comments:

  1. Just came across your post as im looking to build the exact same setup. I have solar setup already and have been trying to figure out how to wire my window motor to work. I even have the same window motor as you, lol. I want to use a timer instead of a light sensor to open my door though. Could you tell me more about your setup and where you found the relay ad the type it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much like your style here. I even like the fact that you are using an octal relay. The window motor and lever. I would move the lower limit switch to where the top of the door is when closed. Helps keep cleaner and less chance of debris getting jammed in it.

    Last. About that "Here is a terrible schematic:" I would like to offer up one of my diagrams to replace it.

    Google will get you to send a request. Don't want people to see it until you approve and post. Or they ask for access. any one who wants access, leave a message to where you are linking from. AKA what web site, forum, here ect ect

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EU88TelVBzHb-m34Oocs2uQsq2ei5Slg/view?usp=sharing


    I did change the layout and how the relay and limit switches are wired.

    ReplyDelete